Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground



Game is admittedly a little loco. That's part of what makes him one of the best in rap right now. And to make tracks for him, you might have to get just as crazy as he is.

"Whenever I call a producer and tell them how I want the beat to be, I paint a picture," he said. "I called Just Blaze, and I'll be like, 'Yo, picture Jay-Z being in an elevator in the Bronx. ... It's broke, and all of sudden he presses the garage button and it shoots through the roof. He lands on Jupiter. And he walks out in all black. I want that record!' And Blaze will be like, 'All right. I'm about to do that record.'

"When you listen to my album and people say, 'You know how to pick beats' — nah, I know how to pick scenarios and producers who understand my scenarios and know how to transform them into music," he added. "When it comes out the speakers, it sounds like what I asked for."

Two of Game's obvious go-to guys on L.A.X. are Cool & Dre. They have his current single, "My Life," and might have his next as well.

"Cool & Dre did that beat," he smiled when talking about "Money." "It's Miami, sounds Miami. If it is the next single, we gonna shoot the video in Miami. 'Money' is gonna be a big record. I'mma let the streets pick the single. If I had my way, 'Let Us Live' would be it. That's my favorite joint on the album probably." ...

The art of making love is like ... well, T-Pain and Lil Wayne will tell you all about it on their joint project. We've been hearing about the full-length collaboration for months. Pain finally got specific and told us about one of their records.

"It's the most awesome record in the world," he said of his favorite track, "Damn, Damn." "It's basically about what the girl is saying during intercourse."

Pain also broke out into song, revealing an excerpt from the Thr33 Ringz track "Therapy": "I say, 'One, two, three, four/ Get the hell up out my door.' "

"[The track] is just for the crazy women out there," he said. ...


It's about time. DJ Green Lantern is getting that cook up just right. He and Grafh are going in on the Oracle 2 mixtape. The street CD should be out in a couple of weeks. Grafh's debut LP, The Evolution, is slated to arrive within the next three months or so.

"We first did the record with my boy Prinz the Pistoleer," Grafh said of his first single, "Like Ohh." "A lot of rappers showed love and wanted to be a part of it, but Busta was the first one to reach out. He came through, showed love, tore it up with a crazy 16 [bars], then came down to the video with the 'whoo-ha' Busta Rhymes flava. That originally was the remix, but we made it the official single because Busta smashed it. Because everybody showed so much love, the remix is getting crazier. Shout-out to Jim Jones, he jumped on it. Swizz Beatz jumped on the remix. Bun B, Jadakiss is on the remix. It's crazy, and it's growing. I'm glad everybody is being receptive. When they show that love, I gotta shoot it back."

Grafh's original debut LP was called The Autografh, but since it sat on the shelf for so many years, he just leaked the LP online for free.

"This is my first official release," he said. "I got caught up in the politics. I never got a chance to release an album. The Evolution involves change. I'm more mature in the game. I'm growing as a man. My point of views have broadened."

No comments: